Hello everyone, and happy summer!
Today I am going to show you how to make an easy homemade hair detangler. I love making my own products so I know exactly what is in them. The best part is, for this hair detangler, there are only two ingredients you need!
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 2-3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 spray bottle
- Measure water in a liquid measuring cup. Measure coconut oil and pour into liquid measuring cup containing water.
- Pour your oil-water mixture into your spray bottle and you’re done!
Note: Water and oil do not mix, so be sure to to shake your detangler before use! I have noticed, however, that coconut oil is unlike other oils and can form a temporary emulsion when you shake it.
Some of you may be unfamiliar with coconut oil, so here is some information that may be helpful!
- Coconut oil can be refrigerated or left out. When refrigerated, it becomes firm, similar to refrigerated butter. When left out, it is likely to become liquid, depending on the temperature where it is stored. Coconut oil has a melting point of 75 degrees fahrenheit. For this purpose, your coconut oil should be liquid, so I left my coconut oil out before creating this DIY.
- Coconut oil is available on line and in some stores. I purchased this one at a local store; however, there are several places online to purchase coconut oil.
- Coconut oil has various benefits for hair and has been used in hair for thousands of years. There are many articles online further explaining these benefits.
- Coconut oil can be used by itself on damp hair, so you do not need to necessarily combine it with water in a spray bottle. When I use this method I tend to use too much and my hair looks too oily. I made this formula so I can use it on wet or dry hair and so it is easier to portion a small amount of the oil.
What other uses do you use coconut oil for? Leave a comment below!